Use this as a general guideline on how to prepare a four layer lasagna
1 package of lasagna sheets prepares a maximum baking pan of 10 x 13 (4 layers)
- 1 Large shallow pan (skillet or cast iron)
- 1 Large bowl (fill with cold water)
- 10 x 13 baking pan
- Tongs or wooden spoon
- Cooking spray
1. Get a large shallow pan
Fill your large shallow pan 3/4 of the way full with water.
- If you don’t have a large shallow pan you can substitute with a large pot.
- A large shallow pan makes it easier to handle the lasagna sheets when transferring out of the pan.
Bring the water to a full boil. When the water reaches a full boil, reduce to a slow and gentle boil.
3. Cold Water
While your water is coming to a boil, fill a large bowl with cold water (this will be used for step 5)
4. Cook Time
Add the lasagna sheet into the boiling water and cook for 45 seconds to 1 minute. (Do not defrost if frozen. Place frozen lasagna sheets into boiling water and extend cook time.)
- Start by adding one lasagna sheet at a time until you get a feel for how your lasagna sheets are cooking, then you can add up to 2 lasagne sheets at a time.
From the boiling water, remove the lasagna sheet with tongs or a wooden spoon and place into your large bowl with cold water (see step 3).
- Placing the lasagna sheet into the cold water makes it easier to assemble. Skipping this step will result in a piping hot lasagna sheet and make it too hot handle by hand when assembling. Ouch!
6. Cooking Spray
While your lasagna sheets are cooling, spray your baking pan with cooking spray.
7. Excess Water & Layering
When the sheets are cool enough to handle by hand, remove from the cold water, remove some of the excess water off the lasagna sheet with your hand and layer into a 9x11 or 9x13 cooking pan and follow your preferred recipe.
- Before layering your pasta sheets, you may need to cut the lasagna sheets to fit the size of your pan.
Layer your lasagna with 4 layers in this sequence:
- Lasagna sheet
- Repeat 4 times
- On the final layer, using a ladle, top with nice layer of sauce.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.